High School Tutor
Schedule: Varies; approximately 12 to 15 hours per week
To Apply: Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Summary of Position
At Neighborhood Learning Alliance (NLA), we are a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the education and opportunities of lower income families through strategic partnerships with community organizations, with active presence in the Pittsburgh Public Schools in after school programs.
Poor academic performance and failed credits are often times the biggest barrier to graduation for high school students. The NLA offers a comprehensive tutoring program, along with an online program where students can recover failed credits. Most of the job is focused on helping students recover credit, making sure the program runs smoothly, and building relationships with youth!
We are most often in need of tutors who are strong in math and science, though tutors in all subjects are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist lead tutor or coordinator to prepare for and organize the site
• Touch base with site coordinator to receive any updates about the day’s schedule
• Help students in their academics and answer questions about content
• Be endlessly encouraging and positive with students
• Maintain an orderly and organized environment and ensure that students are on task
• Always serve as an authority figure in the classroom, assisting lead tutor or coordinator with overall classroom management
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Must be comfortable tutoring a variety of High School subjects, especially in STEM.
• Must be available during the after school hours, usually 3PM – 6PM, Monday-Friday (some daytime positions may be available.)
• Must allow us to obtain your Act 33/34, Criminal, and FBI clearances.